Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Glen Corwin Cottam - My Dad

I know we usually have updates on our kids, but I wanted to say something about my dad. Born 30 June and first child to Heber Calvin Cottam and Georgia Lorraine Prisbrey. Was married to my mother Debbie for 32 years and now engaged to JoDee Wardley. Has three children and seven grandchildren. There are so many times a day that I do something and say, "yup, learned that from my dad" or "yup, I do that like my dad." I was lucky enough to get the best qualities from both parents, but from my dad I get, the love of outdoors, love of guns, seeing the beauty in simple things, being able to be care free when needed, and the gift of gab. Things that I also got from my dad are; planning things out in detail, throwing things in anger, a slight OCD for being clean, broad shoulders, and allergies.
For as long as I can remember, my dad has worked for himself and been good at inventing ideas and objects to make life easier. He's always looking for easier ways to do everything. He has been a Volunteer on the Washington County Search and Rescue in Utah I think for my whole life. He was a volunteer Fire Fighter for a very long time for Santa Clara City in Utah as well. He's been on a lot of crazy calls. He has dived around in the local lakes to get drowning victims, he's repelled down cliffs, hiked up trails, and four-wheeled lengths to rescue hikers, he's even gone and helped get rid of Marijuana crops that the feds seized. He's good with a gun, GPS devices, and survival skills. I would get lost with him anytime (Ha Ha, that sounds funny)! He is standing on top of one of the giant mounds of marijuana they cut down. Could you imagine what it would be like when they burned those mounds?!!
My dad has many work force skills also that I would love to have. He was a mechanic for a Conoco station my grandpa owned, he was Owner of the Handy-Marts in St. George, UT, he was an owner of a restaurant called Granny's Chicken and Fish (I was young, but I remember getting to peel the potatoes for the french fries.) He built and ran a car wash. ( Loved helping clean and repair the car wash with him because I got to take a handful of quarters when we were done. I learned to really grab! I use to know how to grab exactly 25 $1 bills too.) He took Jaycie out for a ride on the quad.
He is a Contractor by trade. He builds beautiful houses. What I like about them is he really puts effort into designing them so they have a natural flow and no wasted space. If the city would let him, he'd probably do all the work from the cement, framing, electrical, etc. My favorite thing I learned from him having his contractor's license is when he was learning about using Solar Energy and positioning a house to face a certain way to use the Earth's natural resources. He really is a know it all. At one time, he was even creating opal pieces for jewelry. He would take what looked like a normal rock and polish it until it was a beautiful opal. With Jaycie and Mackenzie 2003.
My dad actually just got a job working for someone else this last month. He works at Legacy Mitsubishi in St. George, UT. So far they haven't trained him completely, but he's had a few sales. He's got lots of things he does, but it's so weird to not just be able to plan a visit because he has to work.
His favorite thing to do, and anyone can tell you, is HUNTING. (Maybe next year I'll get to go.) From my experiences, he also likes Lake Powell, Kolob, and his computer. He has a great time teasing others, hunting for treasure, and being a grandpa. I know my kids absolutely adore him. He's pretty patriotic too.
I am pretty sure babies are not one of his favorite things. He much prefers my kids when they are self sustained and potty trained. My dad's and my relationship gets better every year too. Maybe because I can entertain myself and am potty trained.
Above -Holding Marlie when she was a few weeks old. Looks a little nervous to me. ; ) Below - JoDee, Dad, Campbell, Mackenzie & Jaycie at Mackenzie and Jaycie's birthday party.
I love my dad because he can get excited over the simplest things. Okay, usually they involve hunting, guns, hiking, etc. For some of us, those are life's simple enjoyments. I love that he's got some strange friends, but they keep his life interesting. I love how he can make something old look new and beautiful. I love how he drove me to Mississippi when I was 8 months pregnant and with a "curious" toddler and, and then 5 months later helped me move to Tucson, AZ. I love how he wants to be involved in mine and my family's life. I love how he calls me Jo. I love how we, his kids, are old enough to know when he's bluffing and full of you know what. I love how he checks up on me by reading this blog.

Thanks Dad for all your love and support. I really appreciate it.

I love you. - Jo

4 comments:

The Scott Family said...

How sweet to read about your dad. This is the first time I've seen pictures....oh my gosh. Your brother looks just like him! I see a lot of you in him too!!!!

Lisa said...

Hi Cami! I found your blog via Maren's. Our blog is private at the moment, but I will send you an invite. Your blog is awesome! I am so impressed with how wonderfully you handle everything. I hope you are doing well, and Josh is healthy and safe. Best wishes to your family!

Becky said...

Cami what a sweet tribute to your Dad! I adore my Dad too. He is now 80 years young and I am closer to him than ever.My Dad also lives in Santa Clara. We do have a lot in common.

Anonymous said...

Cami, how wonderful to read your tribute to your dad and get to know him (and you) better. What a handsome guy. Aren't dads wonderful? My high esteem of you just went up another couple of notches! You are an amazing lady!!